Saturday, February 6, 2010

Whispers pieces (warning: full loaded photos!)

One of my fans named Mika asked me through email where I got inspirations about my black and white Asian girl drawings. Good question, I forgot to share my little explanation with you all here. I love the way many talented painters draw their own girl characters, just like Audrey Kawasaki, Stella Im Hultberg, Amy Sol, more. Past few years ago, I found a scary inspiration in an unexpected way... Guess who? It's Sadako (Japanese ghost girl). Hahaha! Honestly, I was watching the horror movies, "The Ring", "The Grudge"... until I was impressed with Sadako's ghosty pale skin and striking pure thick black hair instead her bloody scary face, lol. So I started creating my first girl character named Aya in 2007, see the pic below.

From now, I love to create more graphite black & white drawings, I really enjoy doing every different face / hair expressions of my girl characters. I greatly thank to Hayao Miyazaki, who is one of my big influences. I have observed & learned from Miyazaki about many emotional complex of his leading woman heroines like Nausicaa & Princess Mononoke. I feel lucky that people enjoy my black & white drawings nowadays. Thanks for asking me, my sweet fan Mika!


It's time to post here! The opening show "Whispers" @Gallery1988 San Francisco will be launching tonight! Here are my 10 pieces! Enjoy viewing my artworks!

(taken installment pic by G1988) and also see more pics from Arrest Motion blog



Yuri
graphite on paper
20 x 13 inches
23 1/2 x 16 1/2 inches framed
AVAILABLE
(I got inspired by a real woman Yuri Okawa, who was evicted from the show Pinoy Big Brother. I digged on her angry expression so she was so frustrated with her housemate, Carol.)



Black Whisper
graphite on paper
20 x 13 inches
23 1/2 x 16 1/2 inches framed
AVAILABLE
(This is my fave part).



Anasthasia
graphite on paper
20 x 13 inches
23 1/2 x 16 1/2 inches framed
AVAILABLE



Chise
graphite on paper
10 x 14 inches
13 1/2 x 17 1/2 inches framed
AVAILABLE



Yuzuki
graphite on paper
10 x 14 inches
13 1/2 x 17 1/2 inches framed
AVAILABLE



Meshii
graphite on paper
10 x 10 inches
13 1/2 x 13 1/2 inches framed
AVAILABLE



Anika
graphite on paper
10 x 10 inches
13 1/2 x 13 1/2 inches framed
SOLD




Fulfillment
acrylic, colored pencil, and graphite on Strathmore
8 x 10 inches
15 3/4 x 15 3/4 inches framed
AVAILABLE




Festive Mood
acrylic, colored pencil, and graphite on Strathmore
8 x 10 inches
15 3/4 x 15 3/4 inches framed
AVAILABLE





Maneki Neko
acrylic, colored pencil, and ink on wood
9 x 27 1/2 inches
SOLD

When I saw the Maneki Neko (Lucky Cat) cat collection of my sister Erica, sometimes I wish a lucky cat could be real seriously like Totoro, not a figurine / sculpture. So I tried to create a piece, ta-da! Hahaha, my silly cat character looks like a superhero! Erica really wanted to have this for her collection, she kept poking me and saying "GIVE ME THAT, MY BIG SIS! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!" Bwahahahaha.... *Mall laughs devilishly and ignores Erica...."

Whew! If you're interested in buying, please please call the gallery at (415) 409-1376. They also take email orders at gallery1988sf@gmail.com , however they reccommend calling as the phones will take priority. Please see more amazing artworks of Roland Tamayo, Tin and Kendra Binney! Check this G1988 site out!




Sneak peeks: My two upcoming group shows this February: My 4 graphite pieces for the opening new gallery OuterSpace Gallery, Makati Manila, Philippines in March 2010.


My 3 or 4 pieces for the show "Curious and Curious: Inspired by Alice in Wonderland" @Nucleus Gallery on February 27 (check the link about the crazy line-up artists including Amy Sol, Kukula, Raquel Aparicio more!)
"WE'RE ALL MAD HERE." - Cheshire Cat


I'm so lucky to have three shows this February. I feel like I'm a simple happy girl who receives Christmas gifts, haha. I can't wait to celebrate my February birthday soon. I can't wait to eat more yummy foods... I know, hardworking / stress / art deadlines sometimes hurt my poor health... sometimes I miss my food schedule during my painting mode, eep. Don't worry, I'll definitely take more rest soon.


Okay guys, hope you all enjoy this longest blog entry. I have to continue working on my Alice pieces and do my running errands. See you guys later and ciao! Have a wonderful day!

P.S. For the new future engaged couples, I'm so sorry, I don't accept commissioned wedding illustrations now. I can't accept the wedding deadlines because I should finish my several line-up clients first. Hope you understand me. Mwah!