Thursday, November 20, 2008

LIVE YOUR DREAMS Campaign (Part Two)

Okay guys, it's time to tell you my story about the "Live Your Dreams" TV commercial. BBDO Guerrero was eager to ask me if I would be interested in doing a TV commercial animation. BBDO really liked the feel of my project and my art. They also really liked the pace in how I work. I was so flattered. It made me realized that it was a great opportunity. I said to BBDO, "I'm willing to do it!" Hehehehehe! I was working with BBDO Guerrero, Director Mike Alcarazen, Holy Cow Animation, Provill (Production Village) and Optimal Digital for two months.

Here's the old treatment and work flow by Director Mike Alcarazen:
THE PROCESS: The Alcazaren Bros. will be in charge of doing the main storyboard for the animation and the direction for the live scene in the end. The board will be very detailed to provide a complete visual flow. The storyboard will already take inputs from May Ann and the animators from Holy Cow. Initial background lay-outs and character designs will also be presented from May Ann. Once these are presented and approved, May Ann can start finalizing the designs. In the meantime, the main animation shall begin. I propose doing a very rough initial animation or an animatics for pre-visualization and timings (not the line test yet). We can set presentations to agency for this step alone. Once the animatics is approved, the artists can commence the full animation while May Ann can begin her backgrounds. The animators shall be broken into teams as we have a concept which requires so many animated elements. These shall be animated as separate elements and shall be composited later during on-line. Meanwhile, the live-action scene can be shot simultaneous to the animation production as it requires a bit of rotoscoping for the final scene (based on an idea I have for the ending; i.e. the last animated frame shall match the live scene). No post effects will be required here. So there will be a major collaboration with the 4 teams: the Alcazaren Bros, Dany Montano and Holy Cow, May Ann and the people from post. Please also ask Danny if he can do pre-visualization via cg. I was thinking of visualizing the action in 3D so the process can be faster.
I worked as a chief designer: background artist, character designer and animator (my gosh, I wish I could be a professional animator hehehe!) First, I started doing my character designs.


Dream Girl (Caucasian). The striped pajama changed into a white one according to BBDO's request.


Seahorse and Karetela (two-wheeled cartlike)
Zamboanga Vinta (Philippine traditional boat)

Philippine Eagle and Hammock
After researching and studying more animals, festivals, traditions, cultures, foods, famous places of the Philippines for two days, I drew the backgrounds on my big sketchpad. Whoa, it was so hard! The sketches were approved by BBDO.


Fiesta / Nightlife Background

Folklore / Nature Background

Beach scape Background
Cityscape Background. This scene was cancelled by BBDO. Those shopping bags have moved to the Fiesta scene.
Under the Sea Background
Thanks God that I finally bought a Wacom tablet before doing the final digital backgrounds on Photoshop. Whoa, it was hardly complex! Please click them to full view.
Details? Alright, enjoy viewing a few pics of my very complex details, colors and textures! Check my character boy Jose Rizal (national hero of the Philippines) below! Is he cute, isn't it?


Director Mike Alcarazen with BBDO team has been doing the direction for the live scene in the end. I got photos from BBDO copywriter Paw Berroya, please check her Multiply account to view more!


The project was accomplished! The "Live Your Dreams" TVC will release on CNN, CNBC, ANC and other few foreign channels. Thanks to BBDO Guerrero, Direk Mike, Sir Danny and Holy Cow team, Provill, Optimal Digital and DOT! Enjoy watching, guys!


18 comments:

Bjornik said...

Idol! Ang galing! Congrats!:)

Núria Aymà said...

Hi MayAnn!!
long time nsaying a word to you, but I'm visiting your recent works, trust me! I've been very busy, but now, I have to stop and say you: CONGRATULATIONS!! that's a very very beautiful work and CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN! to get this work (a tv spot). all illustrations are perfect, with a lot of elements very well placed and so much brilliant colors that makes me smile. In fact, it's like a dream.

And they have made a good job with your illustrations!

I make a few illustrations for a tv spot last year, too. And they make a great work with the illustrations too. They aren't something special, just some illusts about santa claus, but the final tv spot was great and a lot of people ¿congratulated? for it. Thats a perfect "presentation letter" to future clients. I'm sure thats bring you more work and clients.

well, kisses, embraces, best wishes and all for you!! it's always a pleasure view your sketches and illustrations. good luck!!

Nuri

Núria Aymà said...

Hi MayAnn!!
long time nsaying a word to you, but I'm visiting your recent works, trust me! I've been very busy, but now, I have to stop and say you: CONGRATULATIONS!! that's a very very beautiful work and CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN! to get this work (a tv spot). all illustrations are perfect, with a lot of elements very well placed and so much brilliant colors that makes me smile. In fact, it's like a dream.

And they have made a good job with your illustrations!

I make a few illustrations for a tv spot last year, too. And they make a great work with the illustrations too. They aren't something special, just some illusts about santa claus, but the final tv spot was great and a lot of people ¿congratulated? for it. Thats a perfect "presentation letter" to future clients. I'm sure thats bring you more work and clients.

well, kisses, embraces, best wishes and all for you!! it's always a pleasure view your sketches and illustrations. good luck!!

Nuri

Núria Aymà said...

here you can view the tv spot where I collaborated last year, if you wanna take a look

http://nurisjournal.blogspot.com/2007/12/santa-tv-spot.html

I just make the illustrations that appears inside the book.
Was for the christmas campaign for Pompeia (clothes shop), in Brasil, last year.

Khylov said...

I think I'll only repeat what everyone else here is undoubtedly going to say to you once they see your video and illustrations - but good things bear repeating, da?...

Excellent work, May. You really shine in everything you do, but this especially - maybe because it's moving/animated? It's like a small glimpse into May Ann's imagination - or dreams even. But I have to ask: So many character in this, but where's the ever-lovable Shar? Or Babu and Abu? Or that floating snow tsar who keeps looking for his island princess? 0_0 ...

In any case, the colors are vibrant, the look and feel are very Mall/playful, and the wealth of images, character, and ideas is breath-taking. So much to see everytime one watches this video. Wow...

You should update your resume on your main website, hon. Now you have this highly professional bit of commercial work (and your work at Nucleus) to add to your already lengthy list of experience.

...Then again, I think the whole world already knows about that one awesomely talented (and beautiful) artist in particular, aye?

*high fives, then hugs*

Maciek B. said...

ohh that is nice! :D good job mall!

Anonymous said...

WOW! WOW... and just WOW!! This post just left us speechless :O it was very interesting to see how you created these amazing landscapes from scratch and then to see the coloured versions. This is without a doubt one of your best works so far! The details are just so rich!! And the textures are incredible!! Love the sense of movement and LIFE that all the compositions convey. The scenes are all so happy!!
What is amazing here is that we feel that we can touch all these elements, so, seeing them coming to life in that animation is just brilliant. Once again congratulations to all the team involved in this project and especially to you!! You are a fantastic illustrator and chief designer. This is going to catch the attention of all the animators in the world! :D

♥ ♥ ♥

Kat said...

Mall! Great work! I saw the site before and I couldn't help but wonder "Bakit familiar yung artwork?" It didn't occur to me na ikaw pala yun! Pinagyabang ko sa friends ko tuloy haha. Ang galing galing galing!

Are you going to the UPB homecoming on Dec. 5? Papa-autograph sana ako hehe.

PurpleCookie said...

Love the work you've done for the "Live Your Dreams" TV commercial!
Thanks for sharing all the images of your WIP! It's amazing!
Hope all is well and best wishes!!!
Hugs

Anonymous said...

Hai Mall!! Oh wow! What a fun activities. :D I love your work Mall including the other artist/painter/illustrator. They were all awesome.

I bet you have gain more experiences now.:) How do you feel when you were chose to be part of the team? Do you feel nervous the first time?

I really adore you and your work Mall. *hugglesh* I'm now studying for my big exam. Pray for me. :D Mall, have a nice day yeah and have a good rest. MWAHS! haha

Kristine Pinky said...

Love love love the TVC Mall! Fantastic job. I cannot imagine myself drawing so many details like that... *sigh* You're so amazing.

TrüSka said...

WWOOOWWWWWW MaLL! It's amazing! I'm so so SO proud of you : D Great work! And the idea of going from illustration to a real scene it's really nice and different on a tourist commercial! Now you're back to your paintings? I bet BBDO don't want to let you go!!! Kisses from Portugal Muaackkk : *

Anonymous said...

congratz manang may ann! wishin u more success...!! muaaaaaaaaah

Darlene said...

Cool... I like it..

Be Creative Books said...

Hello Mall, surely I don't have anything new that to say to you that you should not have listened earlier, well, anyhow, allow me to express my admiration for your work and also as person, since one notices that you are a simple person in spite of your virtues, everything that I can see here is wonderful, congratulations! you have a God's big gift, thank you for sharing with us all.

With humility, I ask you, please, give a glance to my blog and give me your comment, of the way that this is..Thank you very much, and Happy Holidays!

EE.

Flor Larios Art said...

Your paintings are beautiful! Full of colors and life.
And your little nice is so cuteee!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi there!
I love your illustration! So beautiful!

I actually did the VO (voice over) for the tvc for Japan and its such a pleasure to see the sketches of the beautiful illustration I had the priviledge of seeing last year before it was aired.

If ever you get hold of the Japanese version, I'd love it if you can upload it since I havent seen it...

God bless you!

Mall said...

Thank you very much to all of you guys!

Anonymous: wow, really? you did the VO for the Japan? Wow, that's so great! :) oh sure I would like to see the japanese version but i dont know, it depends on BBDO rule.